Saturday, July 26, 2008

Amtrak Across America

In the Beginning ...
On Tuesday, July 22, I began a train trip across the country to see family in New England. My travels started in San Francisco at about 6:15 a.m. when I boarded the Number 2 Clement Street bus to the Ferry Building.

At the Ferry Building, I got on an Amtrak bus to take me and other travelers across the San Francisco Bay to Emeryville, where I got on the California Zephyr. The California Zephyr parallels Route 80 from the Bay Area -- traversing the Sierra Nevada, passing alongside Donner Lake, and stopping in Reno -- until Salt Lake City. At Salt Lake City, the train veers south and eventually catches up with the Colorado River. It travels along the Colorado for over 23o miles through numerous canyons, and lush valleys. It makes a stop in Denver and then continues on to Lincoln, Nebraska, and eventually Chicago. In Chicago, I was supposed to change trains -- but I never got there.

I started taking pictures and documenting the trip extensively in Utah -- but my first photograph is this one, of the interior of the #2 Clement.

No comments: